Thursday, June 13, 2013

Week 3 Update

Another incredible week in South Africa, and another week of feeling completely spoiled by this experience.

We are continually being fed and loved well by our hosts family, and learning new things about the culture each day. These past couple of weeks have been such a reminder that even though this is a "service trip", we are here to learn. We must humble ourselves and admit our lack of knowledge and understanding of this culture.

What we've done:

  • Helped with Youth Night. There is an organization in Ocean View called "The Safe House", which is for children who have either been abused or seen abuse. Every Friday night the teens get together to hang out and have dinner together. The intention is that if they are spending time there together, then they won't be out in the community creating habits that they shouldn't be. We will be helping out with this Youth Night every other Friday. Last Friday we played a lot of ice breakers with them, and they taught us some of their African get-to-know-you games. It was such a joy to get to know their hearts better, because we get to see some of them at tutoring throughout the week. 
  • Visited Cape Town. On Saturday, we traveled as a team to Cape Town where we saw an assortment of things. We first visited the Biscuit Mill, which is basically a huge food and craft fair. They have vendors from every kind of culture that serve probably the most delicious food I've ever had. Then, we went to the aquarium and finished our day walking around by the harbor at the Waterfront.
  • Taught at Marine Primary. The grade 6 class I've been helping with is done with exams, yet they still have two more weeks of school. The teacher said she didn't have any lesson plans prepared for this week, so she just let me take over for a couple of days. It was terrifying at first, but such a blessing to gain that kind of experience. Something that I've been so struck by here, is that the students don't believe they have worth or potential. Because of that I had the students write poems about the dreams they have for themselves. The teacher liked them so much she had them write them on poster board and put them up around the classroom. These students want to be doctors, teachers, engineers, fashion designers, and detectives...it was incredible to see them start to take ownership of their dreams!
  • Survived Grade 2. This morning there was a Grade 2 teacher who didn't show up to her classroom and then didn't have a substitute for the class, so they asked if Kaitlyn (my roommate) and I would take care of the class for the day. 36 eight-year-olds for five hours? Sure. They were adorable, but crazy. After we were able to create credibility and authority for ourselves in the classroom, it went pretty smoothly. Thankful for the strength and patience God gave us to get through the day!
  • Started a Bible study. Our team has started a Bible study on Wednesday nights and it was such a joy to start to grow closer together by growing closer to Him. Check out below to read more about what we studied!
  • Played with babies. I love babies...especially chubby ones. Our host mom runs a daycare of 80 children, and there is one room with children who are 12-24 months. They are still there when we come home from school in the afternoon, so Kaitlyn and I have enjoyed just sitting and cuddling with them. So many of them don't get the love and attention they need at home, so they are more than willing to cradle in our arms for an hour. 
What I'm learning:
  • As a child of God, I don't get to choose when I serve. He has called me to serve and love what's in front of me well....ALL THE TIME. I think much of my focus coming into the summer was on serving at the school and thinking about how I can help bring about growth for this community. Although I've thoroughly enjoyed spending the last couple of weeks learning and observing, it's also been frustrating not knowing where I can use what I've been given to help others. In other words, I was so fixated on the task that I've been given that I was missing the moments God was giving me to serve others. Then, last night at Bible study we read and discussed Matthew 25:14-30 (the parable of the bags of gold). I was convicted about how even though I am weak, broken, and powerless, He believes I am worthy enough to give gifts, talents, and blessings to. I was trying to be so territorial about where I gave of my talents, because I wanted to think intentionally about where it would yield the greatest product. But the truth is, that's pride. And these are His talents and gifts. And my job is purely to utilize those to serve and love who is in front of me well. I don't get to choose when I serve or where the fruit is produced. I am simply the seed planter. It is His job to create the harvest. He showed me this today when I woke up thinking that I was going to work with Grade 6 again today, help them hang there poems around the classroom and teach them more about America. That is where I intended to use my talents that He's given me, but then He put 36 second graders in front of me and called me to serve them well. Even though I don't want to teach elementary school for the rest of my life, that is where He wanted me to use the gifts He's given me today.
  • I get my easy life back in a little over five weeks. It's been easy for me to be in this place and desire the easy way of life..."I want to take a shower instead of a bath," "I want my towel to actually dry before I take my next bath two days later," "I want to eat more than a sandwich and a piece of fruit for lunch." It's easy to complain, and then think that in a little over five weeks I will get all of that back. I can take a warm shower and have my towel dry because there is a heater in my house. I can eat when and what I want to because I've been blessed with a pantry full of food at home. But these people don't. There life is always hard, and most likely has always been that way. It's challenged me to reflect on where I find my comfort and what I actually value. Even though life here is more difficult for them, these people considered themselves so blessed. They might not be rich materially, but they have are overflowing in joy, in spirit, and in love for their Lord.
  • The perception South African students have of Americans. So many of the students enjoy asking me if I know celebrities like Eminem and Shakira. It's hard for them to understand the concept of "states" and how I live a two-day drive from even being in the same area as those people, let alone running into them on the street. One girl even told me I look like Adele. I don't really understand it, but hey, thanks for the self-esteem boost. I asked one of the teachers about it and she said the students like America and want to go there because the media depicts our country as one of glitz and glamour. She said many of the students don't believe that poverty exists in our country or that we have any "bad things" happen to us. 

We went to a Jazz night in a nearby town last Thursday. Great night of incredibly talented musicians and our American dance moves!

The Old Biscuit Mill that we visited on Saturday morning.

So. Much. Food.

This was when we went to Kalk Bay on Sunday afternoon and evening. The seals come right up to the shoreline, probably because they know they are going to get fed by humans. But it was still really cool to see them so close up!

Teacher Kaitlyn reading to the group of second graders this morning.

This was a vendor serving Tawain food. It made me think of my friend, Leah, who is in Tawain serving at an orphanage for three months. She is such incredible woman of God and it's been great to see how He is using her over there. Check out her blog here: http://lkscan.blogspot.tw/

Great afternoon at the Aquarium! We saw sharks, HUGE lobsters, and plenty of jellyfish. 

Down at the harbor on Sunday evening. We enjoyed dinner at a great Cuban restaurant right on the shore of the Indian Ocean.

Rainbows are very common here. It was drizzling on and off all day Saturday, but it would rain for a few minutes and then a rainbow would come out. It repeated like this all morning.

Thank you so much for all of your continued prayers and encouragement! Even though I am thousands of miles away, I feel so loved by all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment